Saturday 11 May 2013

Little Adventures

My husband is great! He took me out this afternoon, despite being really tried, and found a lovely place for us to take some pictures and walk. It was a great surprise.

I've wanted to enter or at least get close to a lot of the very old structures here, we tried, until we ended up in front of someone's house and they generously invited us in (as per custom), and my husband is so shy (naturally) and so worried I can't make conversation because of my arabic skills, so we left. It's was nice and interesting though.

Oh, and the reason we didn't get to the old place was because apparently people are too scared and there was no way to get up by car. Just climb. Lol. I wish I wasn't so adventurous! I was bummed out. I can see why people are scared (the believe of Jinn in these old places) but since Richard, I'm pretty much fearless. Besides, knowing not a lot of people trek up in the hills and mountains to these old places means there is more for me to discover.

It's actually very interesting, a lot of Saudi Arabia remains intact and untouched, especially because when you discover artifacts (as someone recently did here, a woman's face in stone that dates back 1000 years before Islam) you don't get money for them like in the West. That dramatically reduces the desire to plunder artifacts for money, apparently. You get named the discoverer which is pretty darn cool, though. Bridgette Martin, explorer? Heck yeah!

I watched a show on Saudi by BBC and it talked about that very subject. I'll have to search it up and post it : The frankincense trail (I'm pretty sure that's what it was). The hostess went scuba-diving and found tons of old incense burners and a ship- never been discovered. Just like that! Isn't that incredible, to know there are so many little things out there to be found? I'm not really the type to remove these things, but take pictures? of course! Everything has it's place.

Beautiful Saudi South
We drove up mountains and down into valleys, we got pretty close to some old stuff, took a ton of pictures, and relaxed. I walked a little, but today was breezy and lovely so a lot of people were out and about. We found a really nice park, it's just being finished and I cannot wait to take Eliana.

Canada is so new so it's always such a thrill to touch and examine things before my time. I'm getting my fill, that's for sure. I can't wait for my husband to take me to the old houses... if we can find a way up to them!

That reminds me, I found these really beautiful flower print hiking boots...


No comments:

Post a Comment