Thursday 27 December 2012

New Home, New Style!

I can't for the life of me decide what I want the apartment to be like. I'm lucky to have a fairly liberal husband  who likes my handy-work and we communicate often about what we like/don't like. From what I know, there is very little we despise in terms of style- we've had the utmost classic style with heavy wood and rich colours to earthy tones with an eclectic artisan style. One thing we've never tried which I sometimes love/sometimes loathe, is the contemporary and modern.

Our bedroom 2007-2010
We both agree that having a straight forward idea of what we want our next place to be like is really important- especially because our home will be more permanent than the others we've been in the last 10 years for the both of us. Having an idea will not only save us money when we shop but it will help us get organized, make ideas, and customize to our needs with a baby.

Also, different styles mean a big difference in money. You can obviously break the bank when decorating despite your style, but contemporary is cheaper than artisan, which is cheaper than 'rich' and Elaborate. Classic decor is versatile in the sense that it varies along the spectrum without losing quality.

Love these bright colours!
I don't like that contemporary can look industrial and cold, yet I've seen it look so clean and organized that it's function just fits a busy mom's lifestyle. My husband likes it and it's very popular among his cousins right now. Places like Ikea sell great quality stuff for cheap and most of it is Stockholm modern rather than classic or anything else which makes contemporary so easy to come by- you can also find knock-off of high end stuff for dirt cheap. A friend warned me though- contemporary can be expensive when you go brand name, expensive for a cheap plastic product doesn't allure me. I'd rather pay the true price like anyone.
This is so clean and fun.
I love the mix of dark and light



With a baby we really have to take into consideration her mobility and comfort, babies need light and colour in their lives and in my experience 'heavy' dark wood and draperies aren't conducive to that (even though it's so royal and my absolute favourite). I've seen modern designs which are so baby safe it's silly, and it's so easy to avoid dangerous furniture (namely coffee tables) with combination units and innovative ideas that compact space.
I love the periwinkle in the bathroom, serene
I really find this comfortable

I can't even settle on a colour scheme I like, but hubby really likes red and white. It reminds me of the Canadian flag way too much, I love my country, but I'm not a fan!

Gorgeous and organized 

2 comments:

  1. Periwinkle bathroom is adorable! I'm sure whatever you choose will be lovely, I know you have killer style <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 thanks!! I love it too, it's so clean and it's pretty much one of the only rooms that can pull it off, lol!

    ReplyDelete