Saturday 10 November 2012

The Bakewell Tart!


I love this tart, it's sweet and nutty, perfect for fall.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and make a simple pie crust (or buy one), I found and use several from google, I don't use just one (mainly because I'm trying to find the best one). You need to blind bake this crust and let it cool before putting the frangipan inside, blind bake for 10 minutes.

Don't ask me the definition of frangipan because all I really know is how to make it! I love it because the texture is so nice, not something creamy or fruity like you'd usually find in a pie. Reminds me of marzipan for obvious reasons.

The recipe:
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup almonds- ground
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup jam, traditionally raspberry (optional)- we used nutella once!
2 eggs
2 tbs flour
2 tbs brown sugar
powdered sugar for sprinkling
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
a handful of flaked almonds for the top

Cream butter, sugar, vanilla and almond extract in a bowl. Mix in the eggs one at a time and then add your flour and almonds ground. Whip it well. Spread jam on the bottom of the baked pie shell, fill with frangipan. Bake 25 minutes and then add almonds and brown sugar- making sure the brown sugar is evenly and finely covering the top. Bake an additional 10 minutes, check, additional 5- 10 minutes if necessary. When cooled sprinkle powdered sugar on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment